Hearty Vegan Stew
Hearty vegan stew Italian style with gnocchi dumplings, meaty jackfruit, carrots and peas along with a thick red-wine gravy. No beef, one-pot, rich, savory and whole-foods plant based recipe.
- 1 lb gnocchi Italian potato dumplings
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb jackfruit pieces rinsed well
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 2 carrots sliced into rounds
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 yellow onion diced
- ¾ cup frozen green peas thawed out and rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups vegetable stock low-sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika you can sub sweet paprika
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 3 whole cloves
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
Preheat a heavy bottom dutch oven over medium-low-heat and sautee the onion and lettuce at a drop of oil or a dash of water till the onion is translucent.
Stir in the garlic and cook for a few seconds till aromatic. Then add the thyme, bay, jackfruit pieces along with also the red-wine. Simmer till the wine is nearly evaporated.
Meanwhile whisk the flour with the vegetable-stock till mixed and add it to the pot with the jackfruit. Bring to a simmer and stir in the paprika and cloves.
Cook everything together for 45 minutes till the jackfruit is fork tender. Stir in the gnocchi, tomatoes and green-peas and cook for a few minutes till the gnocchi float to the top and the green peas have been cooked to your own liking.
Discard the thyme sprigs and whole-cloves and then season the stew into a own taste with sea salt and pepper. Stir in the skillet and serve!